Job Posting: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Supervised by: Executive Director
Effective date: December 2018
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a key member of BSM’s senior management team and reports directly to the Executive Director (ED). While the ED will focus primarily on critical issues of strategy and external relations, including fundraising and networking with critical constituencies, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) will lead all internal operations of Broad Street
Ministry (BSM). They will ensure that BSM’s operations fully reflect and advance its overall organizational vision and values, strategic direction, and relevant policies and procedures to ensure successful fulfillment of BSM’s mission. They will lead BSM’s human resources and talent development efforts, providing overall internal leadership for staff. They will also ensure that BSM’s facilities remain in good condition and able to support institutional priorities. The COO will manage and guide the Director, Social Services; Director, Concierge Services (Case Management); Manager, Volunteer Services; Facilities Manager; and Operations Coordinator.
BSM is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity within our organization and assist in building an equitable and inclusive community.
Social Service Operations
- Ensure that all BSM social services operations continue to foster a sense of inclusion and community and remain trauma informed.
- Lead BSM’s social services programs, including its flagship program, the Hospitality Collaborative, and BSM’s case management program, Concierge Services.
- Oversee BSM’s Winter Café which provides emergency shelter to vulnerable populations during the winter months.
- Lead, maintain, and coordinate BSM relationships with its numerous service partners, both onsite and offsite.
- Ensure that the volunteer experience continues to be of the highest quality and helps educate volunteers on the challenges faced by BSM’s guests.
- Lead BSM volunteer program and ensure adequate numbers of daily volunteers to deliver Hospitality Collaborative services in a radically hospitable manner.
- Ensure compliance with all safety and security protocols, procedures and requirements.
- Lead BSM facility operations, including building repair and maintenance, janitorial services, and all electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
- Lead the implementation of new building projects and major capital purchases.
Administration and Human Resources
- Provide overall internal leadership for BSM staff and lead internal HR function, including management of outsourced HR expertise.
- Integrate the skills and expertise of a talented team of professionals. Inspire, motivate and support staff in ways that reinforce and support the BSM mission and goals.
- Support an environment of collaboration and accountability, where roles and expectations are clearly established, but flexibility is highly valued and creativity is welcomed.
- Design and implement programs and activities that increase the level of staff understanding of trauma-informed, harm reduction methodologies, conflict de-escalation, respect in the workplace, self- and group-care, and other general principles and practices in alignment with BSM’s, mission, vision and values.
- Prepare and manage annual budgets for social services and facilities.
- Ensure that BSM operations are conducted in fiscally responsible way consistent with available resources.
- Provide support for overall institutional fundraising efforts.
- Provide operational support for BSM worshipping community and faith services.
- Support internal strategic planning efforts.
- Participate in professional development and in-service training as appropriate.
- Performs other duties assigned related to the essential functions of the position.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Education/Training: Graduate level degree in Social Work, Human Resources, Nonprofit Administration or Public Health preferred. Demonstrated experience and expertise in managing the operations of a complex organization, preferably in social services, required.
Experience: Seven or more years of experience in a social services organization or relevant business. Fundamental understanding of finance, systems, organizational development and human resources; broad experience with the full range of operational functions, including planning, budgeting, tracking/reporting, and outcomes management. Experience in providing
direct services to populations experiencing poverty, homelessness, substance use disorders, mental illness and/or histories of criminal incarceration preferred. Commitment to BSM’s unique philosophy and mission of radical hospitality essential.
Skills: Excellent management and exceptional communication skills including: writing, speaking, interpersonal and presentations are required. Ideal candidates are detail oriented, analytical, enjoy working with people and have excellent human relations, and possess negotiation and reconciliation skills.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), email and social media skills; knowledge of databases or desktop publishing preferred, but not required.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
With the subject line: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
To learn more about us, visit www.broadstreetministry.org
Please no telephone or walk-in inquiries. EOE. Unfortunately, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.