Job Posting: Avenue of the Arts Concierge
Reports to: Director of Clinical & Social Services
Revision Date: June 2021
ABOUT BROAD STREET MINISTRY:
Located along the Avenue of the Arts, Broad Street Ministry was founded in 2005 as a broad-minded faith community with a mission to extend inclusive hospitality and work for a more just world through civic engagement. The mission evolved to include serving Philadelphians living in deep poverty who are experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity, and establishing our flagship program–the Hospitality Collaborative–to provide a welcoming epicenter of social services where guests can develop a greater sense of community while also securing some basic needs. Grounded in the values of community, hospitality, collaboration, and civic engagement, BSM helps Philadelphians living in deep poverty stabilize their lives through a variety of social services.
The Avenue of the Arts Concierge will be the face of Broad Street Ministry’s brand of hospitality along the South Broad Street corridor between Walnut Street and South Street. The concierge’s role is to build relationships with neighborhood community leaders, business owners and guests seeking services within the area. The purpose of this role is to understand needs among stakeholders and the coordination of resources for individuals who come to the area seeking support. By creating meaningful supports and opportunities for education and connections, bridges for opportunity and positive impact will be felt across the spectrum of stakeholders. The Avenue of the Arts Concierge will cultivate connections with individuals experiencing homelessness and food insecurity in the neighborhood, leveraging those relationships to provide appropriate connections to stabilizing services. The Avenue of the Arts Concierge will regularly interact with community leaders, neighbors, local businesses, community groups and organizations, City Councilmembers, business associations and additional individuals identified by key stakeholders in the Avenue of the Arts Council.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support guests in acute crisis management, connecting them to BSM resources or partner services as appropriate.
- Communicate effectively with the BSM colleagues as needed to support daily operations and guest services.
- Serve as part of the BSM de-escalation team, interacting with our constituent population, as they access services at BSM and as they interface with local businesses and stakeholders
- Support MSW and BSW interns in training and understanding our stakeholders within the wider concept of the community that surrounds Broad Street Ministry
- Reliably input data to Broad Street Ministry’s MIS system
- Fill in gaps and roles in the concierge team as needs arise
- Evaluate trends of stakeholder needs and changes in population, risks, policy, and best practices
- Maintains high standards of professionalism which includes attendance demeanor and rapport with guests, stakeholders along the corridor, congregants, partners, donors and volunteers
- Build relationships with key stakeholders to better understand needs of the neighborhood and local businesses; become familiar with neighborhood community groups and organizations
- Be an ambassador of Broad Street Ministry along the Avenue of the Arts becoming familiar with both regular guests and stakeholders on the corridor
- Develop and implement safety and de-escalation trainings and create resources for nearby businesses and neighbors; attend neighborhood business association meetings to distribute resources and create opportunities for education
- Act as point of contact for key stakeholders along the corridor and be available to help troubleshoot situations involving our guests
- Help to develop and present strategies to key stakeholders to build towards outcomes that create a deeper connection with the neighborhood and reporting on progress
- Report potential problems or funding opportunities to supervisor and Development team
- Attend relevant meetings with individuals, groups and organizations including BSM’s board as needed
- expand and develop networks of supporters, cultivate potential funders and partners to further to mission of the agency
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Required 3 years of experience within homeless services, behavioral health services, general social services and/or hospitality related field
- Preferred MSW or 5 years of experience within related field and able to demonstrate skills needed to communicate with and work alongside people on both ends of the socioeconomic spectrum towards agreed upon goals
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills with a high attention to detail and follow through
- Consistent work ethic, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
- Ability to remain calm in high stress and emergent situations
- Ability to be diplomatic and/or non-confrontational in communicating with individuals or groups that may be expressing alternative ideas or perspectives, or who may be using language or tone that is disruptive or triggering
- Ability to be affirming to the identity of all individuals
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve both on a system level as well as within interpersonal dynamics related to the role
- Ability to expand and develop networks of supporters, cultivate potential funders and partners to further to mission of the agency
- Demonstrates ability to contribute and lead de-escalation practices within the community of the avenue of the arts
- Ability to articulate larger picture operational functions of the agency, social economic and political drives within the community and trends in system changes and resources that affect the work
- Demonstrates an ability to learn skills related to communication, trauma awareness, development functions and other related topics
The mission of Broad Street Ministry is to transform our city, our institutions, and ourselves by embracing the individual needs of our most vulnerable sisters and brothers, and by embracing radical hospitality. We believe that the only way to achieve that mission is to have a diverse staff that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve.
Broad Street Ministry does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, criminal record, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Broad Street Ministry believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success as a community services organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation package that includes: medical, dental, and vision, 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays and PTO.
To apply for this position, please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to: email@example.com. Indicate “Avenue of the Arts Concierge” in the subject line of your email.