Job Posting: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
REPORTS TO: Board Chair and Vice Chair
MANAGES: Chief Operating Officer, Chief Development Officer, Pastor
POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
EFFECTIVE DATE: January 2021
ABOUT BROAD STREET MINISTRY:
Broad Street Ministry is one of Philadelphia’s most creative and effective social service organizations serving the city’s growing homeless population. We are seeking a dynamic individual to lead the organization as we address the complex needs of our most vulnerable neighbors.
This is not a faith-based position, nor does it require membership in any religious institution. The CEO is entrusted with the full scope of leadership responsibilities including strategy, fundraising, financial management, staff development and volunteer services along with service delivery to our guests, all while building a culture that honors BSM’s core promise of “Radical Hospitality.”
BSM’s core program, the Hospitality Collaborative, offers meals served with dignity and care, and a wide array of life-critical services including mail service, personal care items, a clothing closet, therapeutic arts, reentry services, and counseling to over 7,000 unique guests per year. BSM also provides case management (“Concierge Services”) for its most vulnerable guests to help them to access a broad range of stabilizing services outside of our organization.
The CEO is responsible for developing, implementing, and executing BSM’s overall strategy. In addition to being the architect of the strategic plan, the position will focus on philanthropic fundraising, determine best practices for all programs and activities at BSM and the long-term financial success of the organization. Additional critical issues include external relations, building partnerships with city agencies, related non-profits, and networking with critical constituencies.
The CEO will be responsible for positioning BSM for success in the future and determining a clear path forward. The CEO is entrusted with building a culture of caring that honors BSM’s mission and values, while executing on the strategic priorities of the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
a. Organization Management – 10%
- Acts as the chief executive officer/chief administrator of the organization
- Staff management – hires, supervises, trains, and motivates senior staff
- Ensures Senior Leaders are managing their staff and developing their leadership skills
- Works with the staff to develop programs and implement policies/procedures to fulfill the organization’s goals
- Identifies gaps in staffing, establishes individual goals for senior leadership based on organization’s financials
- Works with finance to manage organizational spending, monitor budget compliance, and mitigates financial risks
b. Interaction with Board – 10%
- Supports the Board in fulfilling its governance function
- Partner with the Board in helping them govern the strategy, direction, and policy
- Assists the Board in helping them monitor the strategic plan, assist them with their fundraising goals, and annual budgeting oversight
- Anticipates the needs of the Board and the community with respect to the mission, and communicate those needs and corresponding changes to the Board
- Reports regularly to the Board on the activities of the organization
- Facilitates Board and Committee discussions and functions
- Participates actively in all Board meetings as a non-director
c. Fundraising – 30%
- Manages the organizational fundraising in partnership with the Board and CDO
- Drives key results in fundraising identifies, cultivates and solicits donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate and foundation contacts
- Promotes a culture of fundraising in the organization both at the staff and board level
- Cultivates and stewards major gift prospects
- Works with the Chief Development Officer to develop a comprehensive annual fundraising plan
- Serves as the spokesperson of the organization at events, in the media, and other key presentations.
d. Strategy – 50%
- Responsible for creating and implementing BSM’s strategic goals and objectives, identifying new opportunities, and leading BSM to accomplish these goals
- Executes the vision, strategic direction, operations, fiscal and development objectives necessary
- The CEO will be the steward of BSM’s five-year strategic plan and actively monitors its growth. She/he consistently has the strategic plan top of mind and strives to meet major milestones
- He/she understands the BSM brand and his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation
- Ensures goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are achieved
- Mission focused.
- Leadership: Team Builder. Ensures the right people are in the right roles. Experience managing a staff of a minimum of 20 employees.
- Collaborator – Understands the diverse roles and contributions of all stakeholders.
- Experience in social services/social work including service delivery to vulnerable populations preferred.
- Strategic thinker – knows how to develop and work within a strategic plan. Consistently monitors and evaluates the organization’s performance in relation to the plan.
- Experience with a Capital Campaign preferred.
- Organizational development – teach, mentor, and develop talent.
- Ensures goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are achieved.
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals.
- Strong communication skills – written and oral; a persuasive communicator with excellent presentation skills.
- Interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Business acumen: Possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at garnering financial support for the organization.
- 10 years of experience in non-profit leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
We transform our city, our institutions, and ourselves when we embrace the individual needs of our most vulnerable sisters & brothers.
We believe that the only way to achieve that mission is to have a diverse staff that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve.
Broad Street Ministry does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, criminal record, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Broad Street Ministry believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success as a community services organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation package that includes: medical, dental, and vision, 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays and PTO.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by March 3rd, 2021 to email@example.com.