Job Posting: Chief Program Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Revision Date: September 2021
ABOUT BROAD STREET MINISTRY:
Broad Street Ministry is an organization that helps Philadelphians living in deep poverty stabilize their lives through a unique offering of meals and social services that is welcoming to everyone. Our long-term vision is not only to meaningfully reduce the trauma and suffering caused by scarcity for Philadelphia’s most vulnerable populations, but, along with best-of-class social services and government partners, to break the cycle of poverty, homelessness and hunger in Philadelphia.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) develops, implements and oversees the operations of our core program areas and key partnerships. In consultation with the CEO, program directors and program staff, the CPO will be responsible for coordinating and optimizing our work across service areas. The CPO will provide leadership, supervision, guidance and support to program leadership with an eye toward improving stewardship, developing and finetuning operations, building the next generation of leaders among our staff, and ensuring that we are using the right data to inform our practices. Partnerships will be under the purview of the CPO, who will be responsible for developing the strategy and vision for all of our medical, legal, social service, therapeutic and other kinds of collaborations with outside partners and entities that support our guests.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide strategic oversight and management for all program and service areas of the organization, including Restorative Services, Clinical Support Services, De-escalation and Faith programs.
- Responsible for the safe, welcoming, affirming and efficient daily delivery of essential BSM programs; including, but not limited to restorative, faith and clinical social services.
- Manage partner relationships to facilitate the provision of ancillary services including medical, therapeutic, and cultural programs for guests.
- Supervise, mentor, and lead program teams, consisting of multiple direct and in-direct reports to ensure outstanding program delivery, while supporting staff development and professional growth opportunities.
- Facilitate and guide program directors and managers in effective leadership in their area of work, rooted in the mission, radical hospitality, trauma awareness and commitment to ethical practice.
- Seek opportunities to assess program effectiveness and community needs in order to increase program impact.
- Guide the development and implementation of organizational and program strategy collaborating with leadership and the team.
- Support stewardship through building and maintaining positive relationships with funders and external stakeholders, supporting team members to maintain these relationships as well.
- Work with members of the Finance & Administration team to develop and deliver trainings and staff and maintain plans for professional development for program staff.
- Monitor, supervise and maintain program budgets for effective spending and budget management.
- Monitor and oversee program data collection and ensure proper analysis and use.
- Ensure compliance with all necessary regulatory, licensing, and privacy requirements and coordinate with staff to support compliance.
- Oversee the maintenance, development and improvement of partnerships both on and offsite including medical partners, legal partners, and therapeutic arts partnerships.
- Seek to promote BSM’s radical hospitality approach and contribute to the field’s understanding of our service method and models.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALITIFCATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Masters degree or equivalent experience in human services, social services, social work or related field.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- A minimum of 7 years progressive experience working in social services, mental health, and/or similar field with vulnerable adults.
- Strong management, administrative, organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
- Excellent communications skills including professional writing, creation of presentations and program materials, and public speaking abilities.
- Demonstrated capacity as an innovator, capable of creative problem solving.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, remain calm under pressure, and overcome obstacles to meet deadlines and expectations.
- Proven team leader and community builder with outstanding coaching, mentoring, and performance management abilities.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in all form, and a proven ability to cultivate and lead a diverse staff that is representative of constituency we serve and the community in which we provide that service.
- Ability to influence and articulate larger picture operational functions of the organization; social, economic, and political drives within the community; and trends in system changes and resources that impact program implementation and delivery.
- Comfortable working with a diverse population, ability to affirm the identities of others while setting appropriate boundaries regarding behaviors; and ability to demonstrate a trauma-informed approach to interpersonal relations with staff, volunteers, and guests.
- Sound professional judgement; discretion in handling confidential information; and ability to interact appropriately and effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including funders, board members, and civic leaders.
- Proficient in the use of G-Suite and/or Microsoft programs including Gmail, Google Docs, Sheets, Excel, Word, Google Calendar and/or Outlook.
The mission of Broad Street Ministry is to transform our city, our institutions, and ourselves by embracing the individual needs of our most vulnerable sisters and brothers, and by embracing radical hospitality. We believe that the only way to achieve that mission is to have a diverse staff that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve.
Broad Street Ministry does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, criminal record, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Broad Street Ministry believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success as a community services organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
This position is located at Broad Street Ministry, 315 S. Broad Street. At the discretion of management, this role may be performed part-time, full time, or temporarily in a remote location within the greater Philadelphia region. All remote (and partially remote) employees (permanent or temporary) will occasionally be required to perform work on-site, and all or most orientations will occur on-site.
Salary Range: $85,000-$90,000. The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation package that includes: medical, dental, and vision, 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays and PTO.
To apply for this position, please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to: email@example.com. Indicate “Chief Program Officer” in the subject line of your email.