Job Posting: Major Gifts Officer
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Revision Date: June 2021
ABOUT BROAD STREET MINISTRY:
Broad Street Ministry is an organization that helps Philadelphians living in deep poverty stabilize their lives through a unique offering of meals and social services that is welcoming to everyone. Our long term vision is not only to meaningfully reduce the trauma and suffering caused by scarcity for Philadelphia’s most vulnerable populations, but, along with best-of-class social services and government partners, to break the cycle of poverty, homelessness and hunger in Philadelphia.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is responsible for developing strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors with special focus on $5,000+ multi-year gifts to support the Broad Street Ministry organization and related programs. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the MGO’s responsibility is to secure funds for the organization by managing a group of assigned, qualified donors; assuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization; and increasing their giving and involvement. This position has a direct impact on the department’s reputation among donors, sponsors, and other constituents, as well as impacts the financial and operational performance of the department. The MGO is also responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new donors to expand the pipeline of gifts at and above $5,000.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage existing portfolio of approximately 200 donors using moves management strategies and evidence-based best philanthropic practices
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization
- Secure major gifts at the $5,000 level and up
- Participate in each step of the donor pipeline including: identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; and prompt follow up, stewardship, and recognition
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including donor database and wealth screening tools
- Work with the Chief Development Officer, Chief Executive Officer, and development team to align efforts and set goals
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation goals (e.g., provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Work with Chief Development Officer and Chief Executive Officer to secure $650,000 annually in outright gifts or new commitments from managed donors and prospects
- Develop individual donor strategies, along with materials, to renew and upgrade donor gifts
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition at annual gala and scheduled events throughout the year
- Participate in departmental portfolio review process and maintain an organized system for donor stewardship by updating constituent records, as appropriate
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 2-5 years experience in fundraising with demonstrated progressive responsibility and professional growth
- Ability to think strategically, set appropriate goals, and execute on plans with reliability and ownership
- Ability to work independently and cross-functionally with various internal and external constituents
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously with close attention to detail and prioritization to meet deadlines
- Sound professional judgement, discretion in handling confidential information, and a demonstrated ethical approach to fundraising
- Ability to interact positively, effectively, and appropriately with a diverse population of guests, staff, volunteer, stakeholders, and funders; with a proven ability to influence philanthropic leaders
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Proficiency in database management, Microsoft Office Suite and/or G-Suite including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Google Docs
- Ability to travel to meet funders and stakeholders and a willingness to work a varied schedule, in a non-traditional setting, as appropriate to fundraising goals
- Valid driver’s license
The mission of Broad Street Ministry is to transform our city, our institutions, and ourselves by embracing the individual needs of our most vulnerable sisters and brothers, and by embracing radical hospitality. We believe that the only way to achieve that mission is to have a diverse staff that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve.
Broad Street Ministry does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, criminal record, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Broad Street Ministry believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success as a community services organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
This is a full-time, exempt position located at Broad Street Ministry, 315 S. Broad Street. At the discretion of management, this role may be performed part-time, full time, or temporarily in a remote location within the greater Philadelphia region. All remote (and partially remote) employees (permanent or temporary) will occasionally be required to perform work on-site, and all or most orientations will occur on-site.
Salary Range: $66 – 74,000 Annually. The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation package that includes: medical, dental, and vision, 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays and PTO.
To apply for this position, please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line of your email.