Job Posting: Mercy Fellow Community Hygiene Specialist
Reports to: Community Hygiene Manager
Schedule: Full time (Monday – Friday initially, with eventual weekend scheduling)
Revision Date: October 2021
Salary Range: $38k
ABOUT BROAD STREET MINISTRY:
Broad Street Ministry is an organization that helps Philadelphians living in deep poverty stabilize their lives through a unique offering of meals and social services that is welcoming to everyone. Our long term vision is not only to meaningfully reduce the trauma and suffering caused by scarcity for Philadelphia’s most vulnerable populations, but, along with best-of-class social services and government partners, to break the cycle of poverty, homelessness and hunger in Philadelphia.
The Mercy Fellow De-escalation Specialist position is part of a 3-year pilot community based program in partnership with Trinity Healthcare. The Mercy Fellow will be part of a team that is responsible for driving the Community Hygiene Truck, coordinating the telehealth services on the Hygiene Truck and providing de-escalation services during off-site Community Hygiene Truck distributions. In-house, the Mercy Fellow will work as part of a team to support operations throughout the day—managing the flow of guests coming in and out of the building from service to service and ensuring the safety and well-being of guests and staff. While off-site, the Mercy Fellow will work as a team to support the safety and engagement of communities during programming. This position is part of a team that are often the first responders to engaging communities that access BSM services, as well as first engagers around guests in crisis and experiencing escalation. Preference for this position will be given to candidates that are residents of West Philadelphia, who represent the community that this program will be serving.
- Responsible for driving the Community Hygiene Truck (16 foot box truck)
- Assists Community Hygiene Coordinator with stocking the truck, maintaining the truck and keeping track of truck inventory
- Coordinates the telehealth operations including taking vitals of guests who use the service
- Provides de-escalation support as needed in-house and off-site with the Community Hygiene Truck
- Work within a team, to receive clothing donations, maintain cleanliness of donation landing, carrying donations to sorting area, sorting donations and prepare donations for recycling pick up
- Maintain a welcoming and supportive environment for volunteers, partners and other constituents in the building who may or may not be receiving services
- Learn about and practice radical hospitality, trauma aware, person centered crisis support and restorative boundary setting for de-escalation team and wider social services
- Communicate with different social service and restorative service team members about their safety and flow of guest traffic through daily programming and changes or challenges as needed.
- Work as a team in implementing new flow related protocols, evaluate procedure and work with team on improving systems related to flow
- Monitor for safety, escalation, and wellness needs through rapport building and ongoing observation of guests, volunteers, staff and other stakeholders who enter the building
- Maintain record of guests who need special de-escalation related accommodations and boundaries and lead the planning with de-escalation team in strategizing creative and person centered interventions for these guests
- Maintain accurate record of incidents that occur during service including, altercations and medical and behavioral health crisis that resulted in interventions both in-house or through calling rescue
- Work alongside concierge team in communicating about guests needs as they arise
- Provide context to wider team about guests needs, patterns of behavior, population flow and changes to trends among the community
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Ability to drive and safely park a 16 foot box truck through residential areas and highways
- Preference for lived experience that are parallel to the experiences in which we aim to serve
- 1-3 years experience working in hospitality, retail or direct social service.
- Preferred experience working with people experiencing mental health and substance use and abuse disorders
- Willingness to work with constituents experiencing trauma
- Willingness to be trained in and administer overdose reversal, CPR and vitals
- Experience driving a truck preferred
- Ability to lift at least 25 lbs regularly
- Available to work on scheduled weekend shifts
The mission of Broad Street Ministry is to transform our city, our institutions, and ourselves by embracing the individual needs of our most vulnerable sisters and brothers, and by embracing radical hospitality. We believe that the only way to achieve that mission is to have a diverse staff that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve.
Broad Street Ministry does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, criminal record, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Broad Street Ministry believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our success as a community services organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
This position is located at Broad Street Ministry, 315 S. Broad Street. At the discretion of management, this role may be performed part-time, full time, or temporarily in a remote location within the greater Philadelphia region. All remote (and partially remote) employees (permanent or temporary) will occasionally be required to perform work on-site, and all or most orientations will occur on-site.
The successful candidate will receive a competitive compensation package that includes: medical, dental, and vision, 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays and PTO.
To apply for this position, please send your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Mercy Fellow Community Hygiene Specialist” in the subject line of your email.