Job Posting: Reentry Specialist
Position Summary: The Reentry Specialist (RS) will play a critical role in the transition from our two-year reentry pilot to our embedded program, serving as point of entry for participants and services at BSM. Balancing direct service with program coordination, the Specialist will conduct intakes and assessments to identify appropriate referrals; facilitate regular contact with participants to maximize retention and outcomes; and develop and oversee partnerships.
Knowledge of the criminal justice system and reentry resources in Philadelphia is strongly preferred. We especially encourage persons with expertise and lived experience “in the system” to apply in order to center the voice of those directly impacted by incarceration and the criminal justice system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop collaborative and productive partnerships with a wide array of players, including local workforce development agencies and employers, the Philadelphia Department of Prisons, Adult Probation & Parole, the Reentry Coalition, and peer-led reentry mentoring programs.
- Develop trusting relationships with program participants and volunteer mentors, engaging them towards resources offered by BSM and its partners for employment, job training, education, mental health, substance abuse, physical health, legal issues, and (when possible) housing counseling.
- Track progress and outputs using case notes and BSM’s Management Information System (MIS).
- Provide technical support to concierges, interns and volunteer mentors regarding resources and systems available for returning citizens; supporting one-on-one work with concierges working with individuals or families (with and without minors).
- Co-facilitate reentry preparation classes at the State Correctional Institute in Chester, PA, updating curriculum and lesson manual as needed.
- Host and assist in facilitating regular one-on-one mentoring, group work, recruitment events, and special events strengthening cohort bonds and highlighting challenges and policies concerning formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Conduct regular follow-up with employers/educational/training programs to troubleshoot barriers to retention, providing directive feedback to BSM concierges and volunteer mentors as needed.
- Coordinate with HC team and partners to ensure effective direct service for participating guests.
- Participate in relevant service provider groups, advocacy coalitions, and city policy workgroups to build BSM’s capacity to influence conversations around policies and reforms.
- A minimum of three years experience working in services for people who have been recently released from incarceration, and/or demonstrated track record in coordinating and collaborating with teams and volunteers.
- Intermediate training and/or experience in supervising others and overseeing projects.
- Commitment to improving the experience of transition from incarceration for individuals, as well
- Strong boundaries and creative problem-solving skills; strong organizational skills and sufficient proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite or similar programs, comfort with basic database skills.
- Eligibility for visitation / volunteer status to County and State prisons.
With the subject line: Reentry Specialist, please send resume and cover letter to: