Community Engagement Initiative
The Community Engagement Initiative at BSM exists to engage and activate our neighbors so that we spread the practice of radical hospitality beyond our doors.
Join us as we engage with and challenge systems of injustice facing our most vulnerable neighbors while we build community with one another.
Community Engagement programs comprised of relational volunteer experiences, interactive and educational discussions, and the use of art in community and individual development towards social change. All programs seek to foster respectful, informative, and community building dialogue surrounding issues of injustice, poverty, and marginalization. For more information on our program offerings, continue reading below and check out some participant reflections here!
Summer Youth Initiative
For eight weeks of the summer, we immerse middle and high school youth and adult leaders from churches around the country into relational service, which give context to intersections of food and housing insecurity, gender identity, incarceration, race, mental illness, and addiction. Through daily dialogue, worship, and art, the Youth Initiative is a formative experience for young leaders who are founded in rich theological, social, and academic understandings of justice. We spark curiosity, identify ways in which Holy Scripture calls for justice and love for all, and stimulate conversations leading to lifelong service and discipleship.
- Learn More! Download our Summer Information Packet, with dates and detailed information.
- For information on registration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- To learn about The Common Place, visit http://www.thecommonplacephilly.org/
We welcome high school youth, colleges, and adult groups to participate in either secular or faith-based service learning during the fall and spring of each year. Alternative Break programming can be tailored to a group's specific desires for topics of exploration, ranging from food insecurity to mental health and will include both discussions and service sites pertaining to the requested issues.
- Learn More! Download our Alternative Breaks Information Packet with more detailed information.
- For information on registration, contact email@example.com
Day Immersions welcome groups of all ages and types to engage in relational service with BSM’s Hospitality Collaborative surrounded by informative and provocative discussions and activities. You will be involved in a community that fosters creativity and lifelong learning with the flexibility to pursue the intersectionality of justice issues and civic engagement.
- Does your employer have a commitment to corporate social responsibility? Do you have a parents group, a book club, or a just a group of friends who want to critically engage with one another in service and learning about issues of poverty? Click here to learn about our secular Immersion Days. All ages and inter-generational groups are welcome!
- We continue to welcome church groups – from adult mission committees to youth confirmation classes to session retreats. Click here for information on our faith-based Immersion Days.
We thought we would change the world. Turns out we can change the neighborhood, which isn’t too bad.